Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween Update and New Acquisitions

5 Days until Halloween!

I must begin with an apology, my Halloween countdown has not happened. I started with a great idea, unfortunately work and a show that opens in a little more than a week have conspired to keep me from writing. I started a new job recently and while I'm grateful to have something in this economy, I've had to deal with a difficult working environment and petty corporate BS from a particular manager and it's too much to deal with on so little pay. The show is going well, though, and will open next week. 

While I haven't been writing, I have been working on the Southern Spirit Library, my collection of books about the ghosts and hauntings of the South. The Amazon Angel has descended on my house quite a few times in the past couple weeks. I've been concentrating on Maryland (which I initially had few sources on) and Washington, DC (which I had nothing specifically on), though I've picked up some other titles that struck me as interesting.


I've almost finished reading Thomas Freese's 2005 Shaker Ghost Stories from Pleasant Hill, Kentucky. It's a marvelous read and I've been overwhelmed by such a peaceful feeling as I read.

I was overjoyed to see Clerisy Press' latest recent addition to its America's Haunted Road Trip Series, Kala Ambrose's Ghosthunting North Carolina. It certainly covers a number of hauntings I'm not familiar with.

Moving south, Charleston, South Carolina's History Press has recently issued two great books in its Haunted America Series: Haunted Greenville, South Carolina and Haunted Summerville, South Carolina. Summerville, just outside of Charleston, is covered by former Charleston Police Detective Bruce Orr. Greenville, a large city in the northern portion of the state, is covered by Jason Profit.

Historian Sally Toole and paranormal investigator Will Aymerich teamed up to create the Norcross, Georgia Ghost Tour and have produced last year's Souls of Norcross: A Railroad Town with an Afterlife. Norcross, a town west of Atlanta in Gwinnett County, is part of the Atlanta Metro Area.

A Guide to Haunted West Virginia by Walter Gavenda and Michael T. Shoemaker certainly provides a good overview to the ghosts of the Mountain State.

Moving to Maryland, I've added two books on Baltimore: Lynda Lee Macken's Haunted Baltimore: Charm City Spirits and Ed Okonowicz's Baltimore Ghosts. Okonowicz, the expert on paranormal happenings in the region also wrote Annapolis Ghosts which I've also acquired.

Finally, I've gotten three books on Washington: two by John Alexander, Ghosts: Washington's Most Famous Ghost Stories and Ghosts: Washington Revisited. I've also gotten E. Ashley Rooney and Betsy Johnston's Washington: Ghosts, Legends and Lore. 


Once the production of Noel Coward's Private Lives that I'm stage managing and sound designing opens next week, I'll have more time to think about my beloved ghosts. 

3 comments:

  1. Good grief. I have bookshelf envy. Not only for the number of books you've added (although, my collection has grown a lot lately too), but because look how nicely you have it all organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, honey, they're just thrown on the shelf for the picture, they're all lying in stacks all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't feel bad for not having enough time to write. That means you are having an interesting life. I love your library. You even have a couple Haunted America (history press)books!

    ReplyDelete