Friday, December 2, 2011

“On the road again…”—Southern Spirit Guide on the Road

On the road again;
Goin' places that I've never been;
Seein' things that I may never see again;
And I can't wait to get on the road again.
--Willie Nelson, “On the Road Again” (1980)

My wanderlust has gotten the better of me and I’m hitting the road again. As my regular readers may have noticed, there’s been a decrease in posting. Recently, I’ve been working full time which has left me with little time and energy to write. Not being able to write and research at my usual manic pace tends to leave me grumpy and irritable.

Due to the nature of my job, I really can’t do much blog work in the little free time I’m afforded, though I can do a little bit of plotting and planning in my head. I’ve wanted to do a book on ghosts for some time. Certainly, I’ve amassed a good deal of writing here and it’s not currently making me any money, so I can compile some of my entries with some new writing and create a tidy e-book. Why an e-book? Well, I can have a good deal of control over formatting, design and content, plus the profit margin appears to be better as well. In other words, I have more control, though there’s also more work. My regular readers can expect a lag in the number of new posts for a while until the book has released me.

As for my trip, I’m splitting my time between the mountains and the coast. My first stop is Knoxville, Tennessee followed by a few days in Charleston, South Carolina. I’m visiting family but I’ll be spending most of my time exploring the historical and spiritual sides of each city. Cemeteries included!

The Knoxville skyline, 2007, by Nathan C. Fortner. Courtesy
of Wikipedia.

I’ve explored a part of Knoxville in a very early post on the very spiritually active campus of the University of Tennessee. I’ll be dropping by the campus, though I’ll also be checking out a number of other locations like the Baker Peters Jazz Club (located in an old and haunted house), the Blount Mansion (which has reports of recent activity), the Bijou Theatre (which I featured in my entry on Haunted Tennessee) and the Old Gray Cemetery. I’ve not spent much time in Knoxville, so there’s no telling what I may find.

Further afield of Knoxville, I’m hoping to get a tour of The Lost Sea (also featured in Haunted Tennessee), Kingston (including Long Island of the Holston), Jonesborough and Johnson City, all places that feature a number of haunted locations. The whole East Tennessee region, with its Native American and pioneering history is a fascinating place for ghosts.

One of the holiest sites in The Holy City,
St. Philip's Church, 2011. By Lewis O.
Powell, IV, all rights reserved.

After a few days in Knoxville, a pioneer outpost turned hip urban center and Queen City of the Mountains, I’ll return to the genteel wiles of The Holy City, Charleston, on the coast. As I wrote a few months ago during my last visit, Charleston’s streets are still filled with numerous phantoms. Please stay tuned as I go on the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment