Saturday, May 26, 2012

Take me home, country roads—Cherokee, NC Bound


Some of my regular readers may have noted that my regular posting has declined.

In college I spent three of the most magnificent summers doing the outdoor drama, Unto These Hills in Cherokee, NC. Cherokee is like a second home to me and I’ve been granted an opportunity to return for the summer and will stay until late October. I’ve spent the past week preparing to head up.

The mountains of Western North Carolina have a marvelous spiritual energy and the area is positively crawling with spirits and paranormal activity. I’ve previously written here about the Thomas Divide Lights and a personal encounter I may have had with the Cherokee Little People just outside of the theatre. If you’re visiting the area, be sure to stop into the village for recreations of the 1761 Timberlake Expedition, a series of peace talks between the British and Cherokee! 

A performance of a Stickball Dance near Cherokee, 1897. Photo
by James Mooney, courtesy of Wikipedia.

When I’m not tramping around in a tricorn hat I plan to pursue the spirits and legends of this wonderful area and the surrounding region. I’ve tentatively planned a few trips to nearby cities and will write about those here. Hopefully, I can also work on the book I’ve been wanting to write for some time.

If you have any suggestions of places to check out in the area, please let me know! Please keep reading as I head for my home in the hills.

The mountains are calling and I must go. – John Muir

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to the Road to Nowhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. Is this the one near Bryson? I've read about it.

      Delete